This page is not intended as a substitute for legal advice, but rather is intended to provide legal information about the state of Landlord Tenant Law in Florida as of August 2021 and as it relates to the specific factual scenario contained in this page.
I’m behind on my rent
- Dial 211 and seek out any “rental assistance” programs.
- Head to Emergency Rental Assistance Program Frequently Asked Questions – Pinellas County COVID-19 Response and Recommendations to see if you qualify for assistance.
I’ve had an eviction filed against me
From the time you have been served with the complaint from your landlord you have five (5) business days (not including the day you get served, weekends or Clerk observed holidays) to respond and deposit the amount claimed as owing into the court registry, or you risk defaulting and waiving your rights to protest the eviction.
An online self-help answer tool created by Jacksonville Area Legal Aid is available to assist you in your pro se (self-represented) response to the court:
- Go to the Eviction Court Form Builder
- Click the blue “I’m Ready” button half-way down the page, answer the questions… at the end it will allow you to save and print (or download) an “Answer”:
- Sign the Answer where indicated.
- Confirm both of your names are on the Answer as they could seek a default against the missing party.
Landlord-Tenant Informational Videos Connect with us on YouTube
Videos En Español